'Catastrophic' event turned into a happy class

I try to be as meticulous as can be. I have spare bricks, I prepare my classes, I have redundant hardware... But a couple of days ago all my Lenovo tablets decided to stop working at the same time! The Lego app did not show the building instructions, it was impossible to access the settings of the devices... Once I rebooted them, they just showed the logo. Fortunately, I had more resources. I could use my cell phone to follow the building instructions or the students could invent a new model. Despite they had only built one model so far, they chose the second option. Fingers crossed, I hoped that everything would be back to normal in a few minutes so we could program with the tablets as soon as the robots were finished. If that did not happen, at least we had one laptop.

Half an hour later the logo disappeared and the tablets started working again, just in time to program the models. Apparently, the firmware was updated and it took a while.

The moral of the story is that no matter how prepared you are, there is always something beyond your control. The only way I could avoid this problem was having different operative systems or different platforms. In case one platform does not work, at least we would have the other half.

Anyway, the rookies managed to build different models without looking at any kind of building instructions. This is what they made. Enjoy!


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.